Monday, August 24, 2015

my imperfection & His perfect love

In a moment of chaos today, God quieted my heart and made me still.

"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." ~ Romans 5:8

I want to know His love more. I want to be in love with His perspective, and how He sees people. He is giving me glimpses into how I should live -- a life of love, bearing with the faults and flaws of folks. To see them as Christ sees them -- just lost, but only one restored relationship away from being new. From being free.

My life isn't for me. When I threw a stick in the fire during the last campfire dedication service at my favorite summer camp, I didn't know what my decision would practically look like. All I knew was that God was calling me to dedicate this next year of my life (my junior year of college) to Him. And to put myself on the altar and give up the selfishness I bathe myself in daily.

Today He showed me this verse:

"For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." ~ Galatians 5:13

I've been using my freedom for the wrong thing. I can't expect a life lived for self to satisfy me. I am to be poured out for others. As a selfish person, I initially thought this would be The Worst Thing Ever, but the more selfless moments I have, the better I feel. If I am supposed to point others back to Christ, I have to live as He lived -- and He gave up Himself entirely.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." ~ Galatians 2:20

Sufjan Stevens wrote a song about this, and it is the most beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go with grace.