Sunday, December 7, 2014

brand spanking sparkling new

I probably don't have time to be writing this post right now, but it's what I'm going to do because God is teaching me amazing things.

A lot of my struggles are in the brain, where I can worry myself silly or fall prey to my own obsessive thoughts or anxieties. On Friday, I was a serious head case and let myself be consumed by thoughts. Sometimes I can try to rationalize and think my faith away. I don't know if anyone else has this struggle, but sometimes my worst enemy is myself. Actually, that is true more often than it is not. There was nothing particularly yucky about Friday but my thoughts and attitude managed to make me feel a little crazed.

The night ended with my sister and I writing a worship song in our dorm room bathtub. So I guess you can say that God used it for His good and glory (Romans 8:28). And I marvel at what He can do, because these past couple of days, He has been doing a changing work in my heart.

Everything contrary to the Word is a lie. The Bible, God's very Word spoken to us, is truth. Nothing else I see or think or feel or believe matters. And He has been reminding me not only of grace, as I posted about yesterday, but also that:

-- My walk with Him is deeply relational and intimate, not binding or legalistic
-- I can't judge people because my impressions and ideas are *always* wrong
-- I have to fix my eyes on Him and the Word, otherwise I will be drenched and dripping in the fickle flesh of self and society

And what simple, fundamental truths these are! Obvious things, small things, but indeed, everything! It all sounds so obvious, but when I'm not in the Word I'm just not seeing at all.

Apart from Him I can do nothing good.

"Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator." ~ Colossians 3:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go with grace.