Thursday, December 12, 2013

Obsessions: Downton Abbey

I'm going to come right out and say it: I have an obsessive personality.

It doesn't help that I hoard collect things incessantly  I wouldn't say I'm a pack rat, but if you asked for an assignment I penned in fourth grade, I'd probably be able to reach under my bed (or into the abyss of my closet) and pull one out. I don't keep everything....but I keep most things. 

Because I collect things, I get easily obsessed with things that come in sets - book series, lip glosses, Pokemon cards. OH THE POKEMON CARDS


So it's safe to say I'm *extremely* used to my obsessive ways, but even I was surprised with the magnitude of my fandom when my mom brought home a little show called Downton Abbey. 
  


If you haven't seen the show, well....I don't know what advice to give you other than run, don't walk, RUN to your nearest library or video store (do those still exist?) and snatch up the first season. Cousin Matthew will thank you, the world will thank you.

I can't even fully expound on my love for this show. It's really pitiful to admit, but I feel like I know these people. This happened when I read The Fault in Our Stars (Augustus! Hazel Grace! Phillip!!), and it happens while I'm writing my novel, but I've never really had a television show affect me like this one.



And can we all just take a moment to appreciate the glory of Cousin Matthew. I love this guy, seriously. It's a joke in my family, how the people of Downton never call him by just his first name, it's always "Cousin Matthew". If you haven't seen the show and don't know what I'm talking about, please, PLEASE just watch an episode. It's British, it's hilarious, it's emotional. You will laugh, you will cry, and at times, you will feel deeply confused by the many epic (and heartwrenching) plot twists. You will adore the sassy remarks made by the Dowager Countess, you will hate and love Thomas and O'Brien in equal measure, and wonder why Edith can never -- never! -- catch a break. Oh and also may I mention COUSIN MATTHEW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go with grace.